Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Charlie Weis's Last Message to ND Football Team: "I Have Four Superbowl Rings"

SOUTH BEND-Given the chance to address his former players one last time, recently fired Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis had just one thing to say. He's coached four Superbowl winning teams.

"These are the four rings I got from winning four Superbowls," Weis said, trying desperately to remain relevant in some regard and pointing frantically at his rings. "I used to be the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots."

Weis went on to describe how his expert play calling and long list of credentials would bring Notre Dame to new levels of success, refusing to acknowledge at any time that he had been fired. "These four rings were from Superbowls," he repeated. "I was the offensive assistant and assistant special teams coach for the Giants. I won one of them there."

Quarterback Jimmy Clausen said Weis's words really hit home for him. "I hope the next coach we get has won some Superbowls too," he told reporters. "Maybe John Gruden, or Tony Dungee, or somebody else who is completely unsuited for this job."

Weis reminded his players to stay strong in the face of adversity, to continue to wear their ND uniforms with pride, and that he won four Superbowl rings as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

"If you remember nothing else," Weis said, holding back tears. "Remember this-while I was in the NFL as an offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots, I won three Super Bowl rings. One of them, I won while I was offensive assistant and assistant special teams coach for the New York Giants."

Weis then slowly left the room, pausing occasionally and turning around, as if to say something, but then just pointing to his rings and turning around again.

-By Daniel Strauss

No comments:

Post a Comment