Thursday, September 10, 2009

Allen Iverson to Retire, Play for Grizzlies


Move to Memphis marks the end of a storied career

By Daniel and Jeremy Strauss

MEMPHIS -- The man once nicknamed "The Answer" now has an answer for the lingering question that has been his NBA future.

Allen Iverson, the longtime Philadelphia 76ers star, has announced he will be ending his thirteen year basketball career by playing for the Memphis Grizzlies for the duration of the 2009-10 season.

"I've had a really great career, and I've enjoyed every minute of it," a tearful Iverson said at his retirement/playing for the Grizzlies press conference. "But the fact is, I've proved all I wanted to prove, and I'm ready to end my career, and also play for the Memphis Grizzlies with my free time.

"We talkin' bout Grizzlies! Grizzlies!" joked Iverson through sobs.

Under the terms of the one-sided deal, Iverson must play at least 2 minutes every three games. Each additional minute or "show of athletic ability" -- as the contract reads -- will yield a bonus to the league veteran. By Iverson's demand, he is under no obligation to attend any team practices.

"He pretty much backed us into a wall with that one," said Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace of the no-practice demand. "It was the one thing he was so adamant about."

Memphis players were saddened to hear about Iverson's retirement, but were also excited to hear he might play a few games with them during the season.

"I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself," said forward Rudy Gay. "Let's be honest, I'm phoning in most of these games anyway, we all are. I think that's pretty obvious."


Moments like these allowed neither fans nor fellow players to have any idea what A.I. was talking about

Iverson's retirement did however cause some confusion with the front office of his former team.

"I'm fairly certain he retired last season," said Joe Dumars, general manager of the Detroit Pistons. "Yes, yes, I'm quite sure of that. I'm not really sure what all this hubub is about actually."

According to reports, while Iverson had fielded offers from several teams across the league and even some teams in Greece, he settled on Memphis because they were one of the bigger jokes of the league.

"Memphis gives me the opportunity to cease pretending like I care about this game anymore," he said. "While I appear sad, this is a joyous day for me and my family."

No comments:

Post a Comment